Sunday, November 2, 2008

White House Cranberry Orange Sauce

I grew up in Arlington, Virginia which is located just outside Washington, DC. Back in the late 60's and early 70's my parents were frequent guests at the White House and numerous embassy parties -The stories my mom could tell could fill up another blog. At one particular White House dinner, they served a cranberry sauce that my mom loved and she asked for the recipe.

Since then this recipe was a staple at my house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've always thought the orange created a great balance between the sweetness of the sugar and the tartness of the cranberries.



White House Cranberry Sauce
1 12-ounce bag fresh whole cranberries
2 tablespoons water
1 cup orange marmalade
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar

Place the cranberries and water in a medium saucepan.
Heat to boiling.
Reduce heat to low.
Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring, until the cranberries pop.
Remove from heat, stir in the marmalade, and cool.
Add sugar if the sauce is too tart. (This can be made up to 4 days ahead.)

Cover and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature.

0 comments: