Monday, October 20, 2008

Homemade Christmas Gifts


With the way the economy is today, forecasters are predicting that less will be spent on presents this holiday season. I’ve always made gifts for my neighbors and they always look forward to my next endeavor.

I have read on other blogs and in chat rooms from ladies who dread getting something homemade as gifts from their friends. Maybe it’s what they’ve gotten in the past. I know when I get cookies, spiced nuts or even homemade instant hot chocolate, I’ve always been excited. And the time and effort out into making these is added value to me.

A parent with a busy schedule, a college student, and single friends are few of the candidates who might appreciate a gift of cookies, breads, granola or hot chocolate mix.

However if your friends are more interested in keeping up with the Jones’s, or being the Jones’ then they generally put less value on the time and love put into these delightful homemade gifts.

Last year I invited 5 friends over and we tried making different jams and apple butter. It was actually much easier than we ever thought, tasted great. We had a wonderful time together that we vowed to do it again this year.

There are so many ways to present your homemade gift. Depending upon your skills in the kitchen, jams and apple butter can be given with homemade bread, quick bread or scones. Along side a loaf pan, popover pan, biscuit mix or pancake mix (the jam can be heated and made into syrup).

0 comments: