Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fancy Chocolate Caramel Apples


So, most would think that caramel apples are just of halloween, but I think different. When my husband mentioned that he liked caramel apples I first asked him why it took 16 years to tell me. So I started searching for something a little more interesting than just plain caramel apples.

What I found was very simple and delivered a real WOW effect. Crisp apples, dipped in caramel, chilled, dipped in chocolate and rolled in other goodies. To make it simple, I used caramel candies instead of making the caramel from scratch. I also mixed semi-sweet and milk chocolate pieces. I find using semi-sweet a little too bitter and the milk chocolate a bit too sweet, so the mixture was just right for me.

Select firm apples, Granny Smith are excellent and a bit tart, Honey Crisp are also excellent crispy apple that has a balance of tart and sweet. Wash throughly to remove any wax. You may also want to run them under hot water to remove the waxy residue. Place the sticks in the center of the apple.

Melt the caramel in a sauce pan adding 2 tablespoons of water. Once completely melted remove from heat and dip the apple in the caramel and roll to coat. Place the apple on a cookie sheet lined with foil that's been buttered or a silpat. Once all of the apples have been coated, place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to set.


While the apples are setting up, prepare the chopped nuts, M & M’s, Reeses pieces, crushed cookies, mini marshmallows & graham cracker crumbs, anything that you want to cover the chocolate apples.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a glass bowl placed on top of sauce pan with boiling water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not sit in the water as not to burn your chocolate.

When the apples have chilled, dip them in the chocolate and while the chocolate is still warm, into your favorite topping and put them back in the refrigerator to harden.

I used Honey Crisp apples and covered the chocolate with Oreo cookie crumbs. My husband loved them and one apple goes a long way when cut.

I think I might add these to my Christmas baskets.

Here’s the video that got me started. I'm only posting part 2 because she makes the caramel in part one and doesn't give amounts. Besides, using ready made caramels was easier for me.

Oh, left over caramel? Do the same with pretzel rods.

0 comments: